From portsmouthsendiass

Jump to: navigation, search
Home Education Equipment Family support Health & therapies Money & legal Jargon buster About us
Section: Money and legal

Subsection: Benefits

Council Tax

A reduction in the amount of Council Tax you pay

Council Tax Benefit ceased to exist from 1 April 2013, instead you can apply for Council Tax Reduction. You’ll get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction. You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you’ll get:

The most you can get is a 100% reduction. How much you get depends on:

  • Where you live - each council runs their own scheme
  • Your circumstances (eg income, number of children)
  • Your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
  • If your children live with you
  • If other adults live with you


You may get Council Tax Reduction if:

  • You pay Council Tax
  • You’re on a low income or claiming benefits

How to apply:

Contact your local council to apply for Council Tax Reduction. Click here to find your local council.