From portsmouthsendiass

Jump to: navigation, search
Home Education Equipment Family support Health & therapies Money & legal Jargon buster About us
Section: Money and legal

Subsection: Benefits

ESA (Employment and Support Allowance)

A benefit for young people aged 16+

You can claim Employment Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a long term illness or disability affects your ability to work.

You can apply if you’re employed, self-employed, unemployed or a student on Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). You need to be 16 or over to claim.

If your young person claims ESA, you will no longer be able to receive Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for them. The Contact a Family Helpline can help you to work off whether your household will be better off (0800 808 3555).

Students aged 16 – 19 receiving DLA and ESA can claim a 16-19 Bursary from their college or school. Click here for more information about the bursary fund.

To find out more about ESA or how to claim click here

Related subsections

Money and legal - Working