From portsmouthsendiass

Jump to: navigation, search
Home Education Equipment Family support Health & therapies Money & legal Jargon buster About us
Section: Health and therapies

Subsection: Continuing Health Care

About Continuing Health Care

Find out more about what Continuing Health Care means

NHS continuing care is support provided for children and young people under 18 who need a tailored package of care because of their disability, an accident or illness. It is different from NHS continuing healthcare, which can be provided to adults who have very severe or complex health needs.

The main difference is that while continuing healthcare for adults focuses mainly on health and care needs, continuing care for a child or young person should also consider their physical, emotional and intellectual development as they move towards adulthood.

This means that if your child is assessed for NHS continuing care, it’s likely that a range of official organisations will be involved, such as health, education and local authority children’s services. These different agencies will also contribute to your child’s care package if they are found to have continuing care needs. The process of arranging NHS continuing care is led by your Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), which is responsible for managing local health services.

Government guidance recommends that, wherever possible, continuing care for a child or young person should be provided in their own home. It can also take place in a residential school, residential placement or hospice.

If you think your child should be assessed for NHS continuing care, talk to a health or social care professional who works with them.

Related subsections

Health and therapies - Health services, Health and therapies - Who else can help, Family Support - Need a break?, Family Support - Services from West Berkshire, Family Support - Support for parent and carers